Tuesday, October 11

Presenting Mr Ventura, again


The link goes to a column on where he sees the future of America going.

Many of his thoughts mirror my own. The column focuses mostly on transportation, and what will happen to it as a result of oil prices skyrocketing.

After spending time in Europe, and getting everywhere either by rail, foot, or occasional bus, I really wonder why the fuck this country is so far behind on train travel. I love going to Seattle from Portland. Takes about 3 hours-just a little longer than the drive-and the trains run all the damn time.

But to get from Portland to Spokane, the next biggest city east of here, really, that's even close to accessable, that trip takes 12 hours. And you have to be willing to leave at ungodly hours of the morning. Or arrive at ungodly hours of the night.

What?

Shit, in about a week and a half, I fly to Las Vegas. Made reservations for the trip last week-figure the 3rd or 4th. Costing me almost $300. Costs me $300 bucks to get to San Diego this weekend by plane.

These are popular places to go for a weekend. Who the fuck can just afford $300?

And why does no one want to use the train? Well, I suppose this actually depends on where you want to go. I wouldn't rely on the public transport in Spokane to move dogshit. If I want to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, I drive. In NYC the subway costs about 3 bucks a ticket. Holy fuck, I might as well walk unless I gotta go great distances. Seattle's public transport system I've heard fair to middlin' things about.

The road trip has been an American staple for a long, long time. Moving is part of who we are-I think it might be so ingrained in our character that stillness is something I think most people only reserve for sleep. So what happens when we start to revolt because no one is actually thinking of our character as a people? Instead of looking forward, we rush to keep things the same.

And that's really sad to me.

1 comment:

The Primordial Stewardess said...

I have been having some serious primal longings for doable public transit.

My boyfriend in Toronto does not own a car. He travels entirely by subway, bus, streetcar, or foot. How novel!

Here in D/FW, we have the worst public transportation system for a major metropolitan area. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I live in the 'burb's burbs. I'm very seriously considering some major lifestyle changes to remedy this. I imagine I will still have to retain a vehicle just because I don't expect the public transit situation to change very much in the near future. But I'm sick of the burbs and I'm sick of paying nearly $500/month to feed the mechanical horse. Yes, that was $500/month.

There is just something so undeniably right about public transportation.

As for the dining-dead-like-me-complacency of the fiber of our American culture?? Fuck, I am with you Dan. Its starting to really really bother me. Bother me out of apathy, even.

Something has got to be done. Someone has to stand up and say, "Look, peeps, truth is important. Compassion is important. Clear-thinking and policy reflecting that sentiment is important. Understanding our world is important."

I think those things are important. So, I plan on doing my part.

I've felt a restlessness growing in myself regarding this point as of late. I have been slowly but surely rebuilding my courage and the little fire in my mind has been stoked. I can't say exactly what I plan on doing, but I can say that I do plan on doing it.

People have to start making a concerted effort to change the way we're living. I cringe that I sound alarmist, but that's the way I feel. And its getting more and more feverish each day.

I'm not saying I'll succeed, but I will try my best.