Tuesday, December 21

Malware & Data Miners

.: God bless Ad-Aware!!!

.: I've suffered unthinkable torments at the hands of evil. I like to think that I do a fair job of upkeep and maintenance on my computer, but after today I will increase my efforts. I run SpyBot S&D and a virus check about once a month, I run Ad-Aware as well, but not as often. As I was saying, the last couple of days have been lame for my online ventures. Mozilla Firefox just kept crashing and getting hung up on stuff. I went in and did some cleanup, uninstalled some stuff I didn't need, shut down services, and disabled all manner of unecessary startup crap. Not the culprit as it turned out. A couple of weeks ago I began using AVG anti-virussoftware and it came up with three trojans that nothing else found. I figured most problems were taken care of, and so it was, for a week or so, and then everything went to hell. So I ran Ad-Aware today in hopes of finding something. I checked the settings, ran it and NOTHING!!! Arghhh! "There must be something else I can do," I told myself. I checked the settings again, I'm not sure what I did differently than the first time, but I ended up with a deepscan of the whole damn C: drive and my friend, that bastard turned up 18 Data Miners and 3 Malware programs. Well, I had to go mail a bill and hit the store so I fired up SpyBot and ran out the door. When I got home I was very interested to see if SpyBot found anything additional, nothing. OK, well here we go, fire up Firefox! and see what happens. And Holy Crap that shit loaded fast and all the pages are loading faster and with anyluck I won't be crashing anything this evening. I'm running that shit weekly from now on. Later.

1 comment:

DM said...

Mmm...Macintosh.

Still...w/Mozilla you shouldn't have to sweat the adware as much...but I think I'll be asking Fuz if there's an Adware/Spybot program for Macs, just in case, you know?